Non-Custodial Parent Services

What are the services available for non-custodial parents?

For parents paying child support, we can help you to manage your child support information, review your payment history, modify a court order, and provide other helpful services. You can see and do some of these things by logging into the Case Manager, an interactive online tool for managing your child support case.



Forms of money
  • Payment Options

    Different ways you are able to make your support payments
  • Do Not Make Direct Payment

    Don't send payments directly to the other parent. If you do there will be no record of your payment, you will be considered delinquent, and we will take enforcement action.
Questions? Contact us
Computer banking
  • Enforcement Action Assistance

    If the non-custodial parent fails to pay, there may be enforcement actions.  Learn how to get help.
  • Request Relief

    Assistance with filing a Motion for Relief - (for Rhode Island residents)
  • Project Restore

    Referral to Project Restore; referral for job training and placement, referral for other services, assistance with filing a Motion for Relief.

Voice Response System

Case Specific Information

Have a question about your Child Support case? The Child Support Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System has answers to frequently asked questions. Daily (401) 458-4400 to request an Application for Services. You can use your case number and PIN to access your payment history, or other case information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.