Application Process

Twin girls and a boy smiling

Starting the Child Support Process

Any parent or guardian of a child may complete an application for child support services.  There is a $20.00 fee for non-public assistance cases.

Those parents or guardians receiving benefits from the RI Works, TANF, benefits, RIte Care or state medical assistance will have their case referred automatically to this agency.  Once the case has been referred, it will be a full service case, and a "Welcome Letter" will automatically be mailed to both the custodial and non-custodial parent.

Per state regulations:  Families receiving any state assistance are required to cooperate with the agency or face a reduction in their benefit amount. 

The child support agency will assist a case that has a Full Service service level with:

  • locating the non - custodial parent
  • establishing parentage
  • establishing a child support and/or medical order
  • and enforcement of the order.

If receiving state assistance, you may only be permitted to receive the first $50.00 of child support payments received as a bonus or disregard payment for cooperating with this agency. 

Parents who are not receiving RI Works benefits retain all child support collected.

All forms and the application for service is available for download from this website.  You may also call our office and request an application be sent to you in the mail, call 401-458-4400.

You will need to provide detailed information about the other parent.  You will also be required to provide important documents such as the child's birth certificate, any court orders that pertain to the child and any information regarding the location of the non-custodial parent.

The most important information is the following:

  • Non-custodial parent's name
  • Non-custodial parent's complete address and telephone number
  • Non-custodial parent's employer information and address
  • Non-custodial parent's social security number
  • Information about the non-custodial parent's earnings and investments
  • Names and addresses of the non-custodial parent's relatives
  • Names of unions and / or clubs that the non-custodial parent is affiliated
  • Custodial parent's identification
  • Information about the custodial parent's income
  • Divorce decree or custody papers
  • Birth certificate for the child
  • Proof of any money provided for the child
  • Paternity affidavit

The more complete the information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the non-custodial or custodial parent and provide services.

Please be advised you will be assigned a caseworker once your case is entered on the child support computer system.  This is your child support representative - the person to contact with any case specific questions.  This person may change periodically due to caseload numbers.

For your application to be processed correctly please fill out both the Application for Child Support Services and the Family Court Statement of Assets form.


View Online Forms